UAE Gifted and Talented Landscape Analysis,
Mapping, and Impact Evaluation Model
The Ministry of Education (MoE) is launching the “Developing the UAE Gifted & Talented (G&T) Ecosystem” Research Grant 2022, designed to engage researchers from accredited Higher Education Institutes (HEI) in a national level research study of all aspects of the gifted and talented development ecosystem in the UAE. Overall, this grant aims to build collaborative research teams of scale, that focus on integrated research projects capable of applying research excellence to the advancement of knowledge of the gifted and talented ecosystem for the benefit of the UAE.
This grant encourages collaboration amongst researchers and Higher Education Institutes that fosters research projects capable of assessing various facets of gifted, talented, and innovative (GTI) calibers in the UAE; with effective plans and policy recommendations on how best to nurture such talents. Design and implementation of regular and longitudinal 1-2-year censuses are envisaged, to support the formation of sustainable, long-term, cross-disciplinary capacity building projects and processes to identify and support the GTI landscape in the UAE.
This grant also seeks to encourage applicants to pursue novel and authentic methodologies to collect qualitative and quantitative data and establish a roadmap for gifted and talented initiatives and projects in the next national strategic cycle from 2023-2026.
This grant aims to:
- Collect and analyze data to identify national key performance indicators (KPIs) for G&T education.
- Define approaches to maximize the impact of G&T education on the UAE’s competitiveness levels.
- Collect and analyze data about the perceptions of stakeholders in the field of gifted and talented education, including but not limited to stakeholders from: public and private sector schools, official national organizations, G&I associations/community, experts, universities, small and medium enterprises (SME), and entrepreneurs across the UAE.
- Pinpoint service providers and relevant parties involved in life cycle support of G&T individuals from their identification, nurturing of their talents through programs and talent development initiatives, empowering them to invest in their talents, and determination of return on investment (ROI) of talents on the UAE economy.
This grant encourages collaborative projects that bring together multi-disciplinary experts in the fields of education, data collection/analysis, and G&T individuals. Education experts can come from a variety of disciplines including, but not limited to, early childhood development, K12, higher education, special needs development, and psychological science. Applicants shall be well versed with the needs of different educational stages, student education, cognitive development, learning processes, styles, assessments, operational, and logistical needs of G&T environments.
Educators should work closely with G&T experts to deliver all, but not limited to, the following objectives:
- Map the current UAE G&T landscape: including its strengths, weaknesses, capacity building that has occurred in this field, its interrelatedness to the job-market; and develop G&T models based on research and analyses.
- Establish a Gifted & Talented National Survey as a periodic measure to provide continuous and systematic data regarding the progress of gifted & talented individuals based on compatible research methods, such as: surveys, interviews, etc.
- Identify trends and modes of services offered to G&T students inside and outside school across the UAE.
- Assess audience perceptions about the impact of current G&T support practices in developing the abilities and skills of human capital in the UAE.
- Evaluate the actual contribution of developing UAE talents in the investment and competitiveness-driven knowledge-based economy.
- Develop innovative strategies and policies for improving the G&T survey initiative.
- Define a plan to ensure longitudinal research sustainability past grant duration, to guarantee comprehensiveness of collected data and continued applicability of presented policy recommendations.
This grant will be of 2-year duration and shall commence within one month of the issuance of the formal letter of award. The time between issuance of the formal award and commencement is designed to enable the award recipient(s) and host institution(s) to arrange for securing support, such as the engagement of research personnel, critical to the conduct of the project. Research teams will be required to submit progress reports demonstrating satisfactory performance.
2 year duration
The important dates for the “Developing the UAE Gifted & Talented (G&T) Ecosystem” Research Grant 2022are:
31 August 2022
19 October 2022
12 December 2022
Call for Proposal
Deadline to Submit Proposals
Announcement of Winning Projects
Proposals that pass eligibility checks will be evaluated along two dimensions: peer review of the scientific merit of the proposal using assessments by global experts located outside the UAE; and an assessment of the complementarity of the host institution contribution with the needs of the project. A weighting of 90% will be given to the peer review and 10% to the institutional assessment. For the peer review, reviews will be secured from at least two multidisciplinary experts, based outside the UAE.
Peer review assessment criteria:
Quality of the Research Proposal
Track Record of Research Team 20%
Impact of the Research Project 25%
Institutional partnership assessment criteria (10 %):
- The capacity to reduce the teaching loads of successful applicant Principal Investigators (PIs) to levels compatible with the needs of the project.
- Initiatives to enhance administrative support pathways to eliminate blockages and delays.
- Training environment provides the potential for broadening and strengthening trainees’ ability to conduct innovative and substantive research (for Emirati researchers especially).
- Cash or in-kind contributions.
- Dedicating data collectors and analysts to support selected project implementation.
The upper limit on funding is AED 1,000,000 over 2-years for any proposal. Subject to adherence with the general terms and conditions, the grant can be used to engage non-senior personnel (collaborators, students, etc.) and cover their salaries and wages, purchase equipment, software, computers, materials, and supplies, cover the travel costs for fulfilling activities related to the grant’s scope, subcontracts approved by the sponsor, and support publications.
This grant is a UAE national level program, and applications are expected to reflect its objectives and targeted output through proposed collaborations with national and international institutions; and joint work efforts with the UAE MoE.
The PI, to be designated as the lead of the research project, must hold an appointment in an HEI licensed by the UAE Ministry of Education. The Co-PIs may be employed by government, academia, or industry in the U.A.E or abroad. A supporting letter from the institutes must be provided for their participation in the proposed application.
The “Developing the UAE Gifted & Talented (G&T) Ecosystem” Research Grant 2022 operates as a partnership between the UAE Ministry of Education and HEIs. In addition to its financial reward, the Ministry of Education aims to support grant awardees gain access to targeted data collection entities in the UAE. MoE team members assigned as unpaid advisors to awarded grant teams, will play a pivotal role in driving the success of this national level program; and will aid in the design and development of project related policy recommendations and publications.
The host HEI will need to confirm the institutional leadership support for the project and outline the steps that will facilitate the application’s success (host institute responsibilities can be found here see under Evaluation). The formal award agreement between the UAE Ministry of Education and the host HEI will include the in-kind contribution that the host HEI is making to the specific project.
The project plan ought to indicate a roadmap to publication and conference presentations. Reviewers will assess the feasibility and likelihood of achieving the key performance indicators associated with the roadmap. The output roadmap should also indicate the steps to be taken to ensure that foreground intellectual property will be identified and protected.
Applicants must complete the “Developing the UAE Gifted & Talented (G&T) Ecosystem” Research Grant 2022 Application Form by submitting the following:
- Application Form, which includes:
- Project Description
- Supporting letters from institutes of PI and Co-PIs
- Statements of PI and Co-PIs
- Host institute supporting letter, which must be signed by the Vice President for Research (or Senior Officer delegated such responsibilities where a HEI does not have a VP Research) of the licensed HEI which will host the research project
- Budget Justification
- Breakdown of the budget
- You can download the Call Package from here
To apply, please submit the application requirements through (EDAS link). Proposals not in compliance with any details or guidelines specified in this document, or the “Developing the UAE Gifted & Talented (G&T) Ecosystem” Research Grant 2022 terms and conditions, will not be eligible for an award and will be returned without review.
For further information, please check the Submission Guidelines. If you have any enquiries, please contact the Ministry of Education through: firstname.lastname@example.org