Education in the United Arab Emirates has witnessed a significant shift at all levels. This happened because the country has devoted all potentialities to improving the educational level and furthering the scientific development, which has reflected on different fields and levels.
Based on the Ministry's commitment to support the higher education and to provide support to students to help them shape their future and steadily move towards contribution to the superiority of our beloved homeland. The Ministry also believes in the importance of coping with the global changes – especially in the higher education field. Therefore, the Ministry has issued the Online Learning Certificates Equivalency Regulation by Ministerial Resolution No. (212) of 2013 dated 22/09/2013; this regulation helps in providing the students with new opportunities to learn from various fields without making the limits of time or place an impediment to the achievement of their dreams.
Application Provisions of the Regulation
The distance-learning (online learning) certificate regulation is applicable to all scientific degrees issued from educational institutions adopting the distance-learning (online learning) as a basis for all their programs or the educational institutions that offer both traditional and untraditional education programs.
Distance-learning (Interactive Online Learning)
Distance-learning (online learning) is a form of education that is primarily based on the interactive management of the education process by using various electronic technologies.
This type of education depends on the participation and interaction of the learner with all the resources related to the scientific material, which is known as the interactive learning.
Equivalency Requirements of Distance-learning Certificates
Below are the equivalency requirements of distance -earning (online learning) certificates:
- The certificate must be issued from an educational institution recognized by the Ministry and competent government authorities in the host country supervising the distance-learning (online learning) programs.
- The course must be accredited or equaled by the accreditation authorities in the host country, or as applicable.
- The certificate must be in a field other than the scientific fields that require labs and practical applications or other equipment.
- Minimum period of study required to obtain the degree must be no less than the minimum period required to complete the corresponding degree in the traditional education system.
- The number of units required for the student to graduate in the distance-learning method must be no less than the number of units required for the regular student to graduate in corresponding fields.
- The program shall not be specifically designated and limited to a particular category.
The Ministry advises the students wishing to complete graduate and postgraduate studies outside the country that they need to obtain the Ministry approval in advance to ensure that their certificates will be equaled in the future, lest their efforts be wasted. To obtain that approval, the student must submit Inquiry about educational institutes/ educational programme.
Do you find this content helpful? Yes